Tuesday, January 06, 2009

An Inside Look at the Upcoming Thomas Nason Exhibit

Thanks for checking in with the Florence Griswold Museum's new blog! I'm the Museum's Fehrer Curatorial fellow, Amanda Burdan, and I've been working on putting the Nason exhibition together since my arrival here last summer. I'm really looking forward to sharing some new ways to think about the Lyme printmaker Thomas Nason with our visitors. I thought I'd give our online readers sneak peak at what's to come when The Road Less Traveled: Thomas Nason's Rural New England opens on January 17.

Thomas Nason was new to me when I began working at the Museum, but soon I learned that the Lyme Historical Society and the Florence Griswold Museum are the keepers of a trove of fascinating material related to Nason that goes well beyond their extensive print collection. Soon I was delving into Nason's personal papers, scrapbooks, tools, and more. Being able to immerse myself in Thomas Nason's world really helped bring out a side of the artist that I don't think has been seen before. It may seem unlikely, especially if you're already and admirer of Nason's work, but I think he was a bit of a burgeoning Modernist. Please check back again for more insider notes on the Nason exhibition.

No comments: